Lorrie Caplan, Author of Giving Birth To My Parents book will be for sale at The Caregivers Symposium in Longmont on May 12th 9:30 – 5pm….Please come –it’s free admission….Come find my booth….And know that I look forward to meeting and seeing you there….
Also please Mark your calendars now! The Caregiving Symposium, Boulder County Area Agency on Aging’s annual educational event for family caregivers (and the general public), is on Tuesday, May 12, 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m., at the Plaza Convention Center, 1850 Industrial Circle, in Longmont (*directions below). This free event provides a wealth of information for family caregivers of older adults, and includes a large resource fair of service providers, twelve workshops on caregiving topics, educational handouts, lunch, and more. A flyer (legal-size) is attached, and here’s the agenda:
9:30 a.m. – Check-in begins (come any time during the day); Resource Fair Opens
10:30 – 11:30 a.m. – Workshops:
- The Basics: Memory Loss, Dementia and Alzheimer’s
- S.T.A.M.P. of Care: Advocating for Others and Yourself in the Modern Day Healthcare System
- Only You Can Prevent Burnout: Claiming Responsibility for Your Own Care
11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. – Buffet Lunch Open (For pre-registered guests only. If not pre-registered, you may choose to go to a local restaurant—there are many nearby—but please do not bring outside food or beverages onto the Plaza’s premises.)
1 – 2 p.m. – Workshops:
- Legal and Financial Issues for Family Caregivers of Older Adults
- The Validation Method: A Powerful Way to Enhance Communication with the Person with Dementia
- Assistive Technology: Gadgets and Gizmos That Make Life Easier for Older Adults and Caregivers
2:30 – 3:30 p.m. – Workshops:
- Family Meetings, Facilitation and Mediation: Tools for Resolving Tough Caregiving Issues
- Helping Your Loved One Stay Safe by Keeping Strong
- When Caregiving Hits Early: Issues of Younger, 60-ish Couples Dealing with Long-Term Conditions
4 p.m. – Resource Fair Closes
4 – 5 p.m. – Workshops:
- Taking a Break: Resources and Tips for Making Respite Happen!
- A Passage in Caregiving: The Transition to Assisted Living or Nursing Home Care
- To be announced
NEW THIS YEAR: YOU MUST PRE-REGISTER FOR THE EVENT IN ORDER TO RECEIVE THE COMPLIMENTARY LUNCH. Walk-in registration will be allowed, but will not include lunch. Register by May 5at:
To help family caregivers attend, we offer free on-site elder care by reservation. Call 303-441-1543 to learn more or to reserve care.
*Directions: The Best Western Plaza Hotel is at 1900 Ken Pratt Blvd./Hwy 119, between Hover Road and Sunset Street in south Longmont. The Convention Center sits behind (north of) the hotel, at 1850 Industrial Circle. From Ken Pratt Blvd./Hwy 119, turn onto Industrial Circle east of the hotel (at Old Chicago restaurant) or west of the hotel (at the BBQ restaurant); either way circles around to the Convention Center (low, long, dark building). Park in the Convention Center’s east or north lots and enter the main east doors. They’ll be marked by balloons.
The 2015 Caregiving Symposium is co-sponsored by Aging Services Foundation, Meals on Wheels Boulder, Always Best Care, Boulder County CareConnect, 50 Plus Marketplace News, Prudential Financial, Shield HealthCare, Synergy HomeCare, Accent Care, Hallmark Homecare, HomeCare of the Rockies, Homewatch CareGivers of Boulder County, HomeWell Senior Care, Longmont Senior Services, Vincent, Romeo & Rodriguez, LLC, and Visiting Angels of Boulder County.